HRL sends email about campus safety after unauthorized individual enters dorm

Hilltopper Hall, located in The Valley, started construction on Feb. 1, 2017. The construction manager on site estimates that they will start moving furniture into the new dorm around June 1, 2018, and are aiming for occupancy by August.

Michael Crimmins, News reporter

Housing and Residence Life sent out an email Tuesday after an unauthorized individual entered two dorm buildings.

An unarmed and unauthorized individual entered both Hilltopper Hall and Rodes Harlin Hall on Oct. 3. According to HRL, the individual was removed from the building and the police were contacted as soon as the hall staff was notified.

The same individual attempted to enter Pearce Ford Tower on Monday night, but was confronted by hall staff and was prevented from entering the dorm.

The individual was then arrested by the WKU Police Department.

In addition to being arrested, the individual has been banned from campus.

“Housing & Residence Life has reviewed security footage and addressed the staff members who were present at the time of the unauthorized entries,” HRL stated in an email. “All staff members across campus are being retrained in security protocols.”

HRL will be hosting town hall meetings in Hilltopper and Rodes Harlin Halls to address safety concerns and to answer any questions students may have. 

They encourage having the WKU police phone number on your phone, locking your dorm rooms, even when inside, remain vigilant and to report suspicious activity to HRL and WKUPD.

“WKU Housing & Residence Life is committed to maintaining a safe environment for all students by continually reviewing security measures and training protocols,” HRL stated in the same email.

News reporter Michael Crimmins can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @michael_crimm.