WKU Black Student Alliance discusses intersectionality for LGBTQ History Month

Genesis Malone, News reporter

Editor’s Note: The original version had the incorrect date. The story has been updated with the correct date. The Herald regrets the error. 

The Black Student Alliance held its “Blurred Lines” event Tuesday Oct. 5. The event allowed members to discuss the topic of Intersectionality. 

Intersectionality is the interconnected nature of social categorizations such as race, class and gender as they apply to a given individual or group, regarded as creating overlapping and interdependent systems of discrimination or disadvantage. 

When I told my class about certain situations in my life, I could see their faces drop, not in empathy but in sympathy. I didn’t realize I could be the worst case scenario, it just felt like life to me.

— Nia Douglas

BSA member, Nia Douglas, a sophomore from Louisville Kentucky, introduced the event with a few activities. The first activity was called “New and Good,” Douglas prompted attendees to share something new and good happening in their life. 

For the second activity, attendees were asked to complete an Intersectionality wheel. The wheel included sections asking for race, class rank, socio-economic status and sexual orientation. A discussion about the wheel was held and students began to disclose their answers. 

“When I told my class about certain situations in my life, I could see their faces drop, not in empathy but in sympathy.” Douglas said. “I didn’t realize I could be the worst case scenario, it just felt like life to me.”

Other students in attendance spoke on intersectionality in their daily lives and the disadvantages they face. Topics such as being a woman in a male dominated field of work, being African American in a non-minority populated school and the stereotypes and standards following the LGBTQ+ community. 

“Even if you think we might look the same, you always have to go back to the world of the other person and always be mindful of that.” Douglas said. 

News reporter Genesis Malone can be reached at [email protected]