Fuller cards second ace of fall season, Barrett leads the way for Lady Toppers

Steve Roberts / WKU Athletics

WKU Golf junior Luke Fuller shot a 2-over 74, the team’s second-best result of the day, in the final round of competition at the Pinetree Intercollegiate hosted by Kennesaw State on Oct. 19, 2021.

Piper McCoun, Sports reporter

The WKU Men’s Golf team is making a statement at the Pinetree Intercollegiate hosted by Kennesaw State. Two Hilltopper freshmen sit within the top 10 on the individual leaderboard as Stephen Warren and Riley Grindstaff are tied for ninth after 36 holes on Monday. 

Along with performances by the pair of freshmen, junior Luke Fuller scored his second ace over the past eight days of competition, only 70 holes from his previous hole-in-one. 

Warren and Grindstaff are tied at even-par 144 over 36 holes. Warren shot a pair of 72’s while Grindstaff shot a 2-under 70 and 2-over 74. 

Fuller shot a 5-over 77 in the first round and an even-par 72 in the second, tying him for 30th on the leaderboard. 

As a team, the Hilltoppers are tied for seventh on the leaderboard after a pair of 2-over 297’s for each round. 

The WKU Men’s Golf team is scheduled to tee off on Tuesday morning for the final round of competition. 

Meanwhile in Lakewood Ranch, Florida, the WKU Women’s Golf team wrapped up competition in the 44th annual Pat Bradley Invitational on Monday afternoon. Senior Kenlie Barrett led the team in the final round, posting a 1-under 71 to rise 27 spots on the individual leaderboard while pushing the team’s ranking up three spots. 

Barrett tied for 31st with a par-72. Her final score of 1- under 71 in the second round tied for WKU’s lowest of the event as fifth-year senior Olivia Reed also shot a 1-under 71 in the opening round of competition. 

Sophomore Rachel Rich was WKU’s top finisher, tying for 16th at the invitational. She earned a score of 3-over 75 in the second round, finishing at 4-over 220. 

Both Reed and sophomore Sarah Arnold posted a score of 5-over 77 to conclude team scoring. Reed and Barrett tied for 31st at 10-over 226. Arnold finished 72nd and freshman Faith Martin carded a 9-over 81 on the last day. 

The Lady Topper Golf team will close out the fall season on Monday, October 25 and Tuesday, October 26 co-hosting the Olde Stone Intercollegiate at The Club at Olde Stone in Bowling Green.

Sports reporter Piper McCoun can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @piper_mccoun.