C-USA award round-up: Narveson earns special teams honor, Isenbarger credited for defense

ARTHUR TRICKETT-WILE

WKU Hilltoppers’ senior middle hitter Katie Isenbarger (20) leaps for a block against MTSU Blue Raiders’ redshirt sophomore middle blocker Dasia Smith (8) Friday evening, Oct. 15 of 2021 during a match WKU won 3-0 in Diddle Arena.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

A pair of WKU Athletics student-athletes were honored with Conference USA accolades on Monday afternoon with both WKU’s football and volleyball programs represented.

Senior middle hitter Katie Isenbarger was awarded the first Conference USA Defensive Player of the Week honor of her Hilltoppers career. Isenbarger earned the nod after accumulating 13 blocks against the FAU Owls during WKU’s away series in Boca Raton, Florida this past weekend.

She averaged a stellar 1.86 blocks per set during the seven-set series and ended the trip with a .545 hitting percentage. The Owls were only able to hit .083 across the weekend as a whole, due in part to Isenbarger’s efforts.

Isenbarger notched a season-high of 11 kills in the Hilltoppers’ second match of the series while also hitting .688 and putting up eight of her 13 blocks. She also recorded 13 error-free serves en route to WKU’s 21st straight road win and 41st consecutive conference win, both NCAA-best streaks.

Four WKU Volleyball student-athletes have combined to win 10 weekly awards so far this season.

Over in the world of football, redshirt sophomore kicker Brayden Narveson was named Conference USA Special Teams Player of the Week after going 2-for-2 on field goals and 4-for-4 on extra points against FIU Saturday night.

Narveson is the fifth WKU football player to earn a conference superlative this season. He has made 86% of his field goals, 12-of-14 attempts, this season and has converted 31-of-32 extra point attempts.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore. Football reporter Wyatt Sparkman contributed to this article.