WKU Dance Company to perform WinterDance: Candyland Adventures

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

The WKU Dance Company is performing their concert WinterDance: Candyland Adventures from Friday, Nov. 19 through Sunday, Nov. 21 starting at 2 p.m. Sunday and 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday in Van Meter Auditorium.

WinterDance is an opportunity for performers to showcase what they have learned and practiced during the fall semester, as well as serving as a way for WKU students to show their skills to the community. The performance will feature a variety of dance styles, such as ballet, tap, jazz and modern.

David Young, the department head of theatre and dance, spoke on the importance of hosting this event. 

“It’s very important for our dance students to have opportunities to participate in fully realized concerts for a community audience,” Young said. “The dancers have been rehearsing for months and this is the culmination of all their hard work. The goal is for our students to have a rehearsal and performance experience that mirrors the professional dance world.  And thanks to the skill and experience of our dance faculty, we have made that possible. Of course, we also want our audience to experience top-quality dance. Arts events such as this are an important part of the high quality of life in our region.”

Like all the arts, dance is about both personal growth and connecting to others. It makes your life deeper and richer.

— David Young

The theme of the WinterDance performance this year is based around the board game Candyland, which will allow for a whimsical, enchanting take on the dances. 

Young also expressed how this will tie into how glad he normally is to see families attending the annual concert.

“First, I’m always amazed by the inventive choreography and storytelling at our dance concerts,” Young said. “This year, we’ve invested in more costumes, sets, and lighting than ever before.  It should make for a wonderful visual experience, as well.  But honestly, maybe my favorite part is watching the faces of the young children who typically attend our WinterDance concerts. This is a super-fun family event and watching the kids get totally wrapped up in what they’re seeing on stage makes it all worthwhile.”

Having this performance allows dancers the opportunity to exhibit their skills and show off new techniques that they have learned throughout the semester. 

“If you talk to our dancers, I think they can all tell you about how dance has changed their lives,” Young said. “They know dance can be a hugely positive aspect of life, both for the dancer and for the audience, and they want to share that with everyone.  Like all the arts, dance is about both personal growth and connecting to others. It makes your life deeper and richer.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]