Ceramics club sells student works

The+WKU+Ceramics+Club+is+holding+their+annual+ceramics+sale+Nov.+17-19%2C+2021+in+the+Fine+Arts+Center+with+pieces+made+by+club+members.

Allie Hendricks/HERALD

The WKU Ceramics Club is holding their annual ceramics sale Nov. 17-19, 2021 in the Fine Arts Center with pieces made by club members.

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

The Ceramics Club is hosting a ceramics sale from Wednesday, Nov. 17 to Friday, Nov. 19 from 8 a.m. to about 5 p.m. each day in the ceramics studio in FAC 151.

The sale features the works of WKU students of many different skill levels and an array of techniques. Many different types of ceramics will be sold, such as planters, mugs, bowls and jewelry holders. 

Selling these pieces is very valuable for the club and the student artists, because 90% of the proceeds are given to the artist, while the remaining 10% is given to the club.

“The ceramics club is hosting this for the first time since 2019. The club typically holds this sale every semester,” Jen Worley, a senior art education major and president of the ceramics club, said. “With the club funds [from the sale], the ceramics club will be able to provide new tools and materials that we need for the studio. In the past, the sale has been able to provide money for a clay extruder as well as a raku kiln.”

The sale not only serves as a form of fundraising for the club, but it gives students the real-world opportunity to sell their art. 

It’s just such a good place for students to interact with faculty and other patrons of the arts.”

— Greg Strange

Greg Strange, an instructor for ceramics, explained how the sale began and the gratefulness he is feeling to have the sale again this semester.

“This was started years ago by other faculty members, who began it as just a cup sale. I then wanted to expand it to be any ceramics piece that the students wanted to sell,” Strange said. “We did it yearly up until 2020, when COVID shut us down. This is the first time we’ve had the sale in two years, and it’s kind of like a new coming out for the club.”

Strange also spoke on how this is a valuable experience for students to interact with their community, as well as gain professional skills in the sale of their art.

“It’s just such a good place for students to interact with faculty and other patrons of the arts,” Strange said. “The sale of their own art is an important experience for these students. And overall it’s just fun, and can give them a little spending money, which is definitely helpful during Christmas time.”

Students look at the art on sale for the annual Ceramics Club ceramics sale in the Fine Arts Center on Nov. 17, 2021. (Allie Hendricks/HERALD)

Many students had pieces that sold out within the first few hours of the sale. Meredith Bush, a fifth-year graphic design major, was one of these students, and explained how important it was to her that student artists have ​​access to the opportunities the sale provides.

“I think it gives a look into the application of art in the real world,” Bush said. “A lot of arts students hear the ‘you can’t do anything with that degree’ stance, so I think this is a good opportunity to be really hopeful as a student. There is a place for this in the world – art is a necessity and people will want it.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].