C-USA award round-up: Mead named freshman of the week, Malone and Narveson recognized

WKU junior defensive lineman Deangelo Malone (10) celebrates making a stop during the game against MTSU in L.T. Smith Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2019.

Jake Moore, Sports Editor

A pair of WKU Football’s major contributors and one of the Lady Toppers’ brightest young stars all garnered Conference USA weekly awards on Monday afternoon.

Freshman guard Alexis Mead earned her first-ever collegiate award, receiving freshman of the week honors for her standout play in the early stages of 2021-22. Mead is averaging 20.5 points, five assists, 4.5 rebounds and two steals per game in her last two contests, both wins, against Indiana State and Tennessee State.

Mead put up eight points in the fourth quarter to help spark her team to an 11-2 run and shatter TSU’s comeback attempt. She put up a career-high 25 points against Indiana State and her 1.41 assist-to-turnover ratio ranks as the best freshman mark in C-USA.

Two members of WKU Football’s Conference USA East Division champion roster earned nods as well.

Redshirt sophomore kicker Brayden Narveson was named special teams player of the week after his 17 total points helped lead WKU past Marshall on Saturday. Narveson went 5-for-5 on extra points and 4-for-5 on field goals, tying his career-best with a 53-yarder.

Senior defensive end DeAngelo Malone, WKU’s all-time sack leader, was named defensive player of the week after putting up a pair of sacks, five solo tackles and a forced fumble against the Herd. Malone has now compiled 7.5 sacks and 79 tackles on the year, 37 of them solo.

Sports Editor Jake Moore can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @Charles_JMoore.