Lady Toppers sweep C-USA weekly awards for the second time in three weeks

WKU Athletics

Western Kentucky University Lady Toppers celebrate their one point win over the Charlotte Lady 49ers: Tori Hunter (21), Fatou Pouye (12), Meral Abdelgawad (40).

Piper McCoun, Sports Reporter

WKU Women’s Basketball swept the Conference USA weekly awards for the second time in the past three weeks. 

Senior Meral Abdelgawad was named the C-USA Player of the Week for the third time this season and Mya Meredith was named the C-USA Freshman of the Week for the third consecutive week on Monday.

Abdelgawad racked up 33 points off 12-of-18 shooting against Rice on Thursday, making it her fourth 30-point game of the season. The senior put up 18 points, four steals and two rebounds against North Texas on Saturday. Abdelgawad shot 65.5% from the field and 60% from the perimeter for the week. 

Abdegawad’s 20.3 points per game on the season leads C-USA, along with her 24.8 points per game in conference play. She has the second best field goal percentage in the league, shooting 54.2% for the season. The Cario, Egypt, native leads the league with a 65.2% shooting percentage through five conference games. 

Meredith continues to impress in her debut season on the Hill. She averaged 15 points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.5 steals, two blocks and two assists per game against Rice and North Texas. The freshman scored 20 points on the tough Rice defense that has given up 20 or more points to a player only five times this season, including Abdelgawad. 

The Taylor Mill native has stepped up her defensive play, racking up five steals against the Owls and six steals against the Mean Green. She also had two blocks in both games.

The Lady Toppers are 5-0 in C-USA play and have won seven straight games, tied for the ninth-longest streak in the country. They will compete to preserve that streak this week in Bowling Green against Florida Atlantic and FIU. WKU will face FAU on Thursday at 11 a.m. and FIU on Saturday at noon.

Sports reporter Piper McCoun can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @piper_mccoun.