Meredith earns fourth consecutive C-USA Freshman of the Week honor

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Lady Topper freshman guard Mya Meredith (5) sails toward the basket for a layup Saturday afternoon, Jan. 22 of 2022 during a match against the FIU Panthers in Diddle Arena. FIU lost the match 87-66.

Rob Holmes, Sports Reporter

WKU Women’s Basketball’s Mya Meredith has been on an incredible tear to start her freshman season, earning her fourth consecutive Conference USA Freshman of the Week honor Monday. Meredith becomes the first C-USA athlete to compile four consecutive Freshman of the Week honors since the 2010-11 season. 

The Lady Toppers are on a nine-game win streak, and Meredith can be credited with a large portion of this success. On Thursday against FAU she led all scorers with 12 points and shot 3-of-4 from behind the arc. Two days later she scored 16 points against FIU, grabbing five rebounds and five steals in the process.

The Taylor Mill native leads all C-USA freshmen in scoring. Meredith averages 13.5 points per game while shooting an efficient 47.4% from the field. 

Since the start of conference play, Meredith has increased her level of play. Her points-per-game mark has risen to 16.7 and her field goal percentage has jumped up to 50.6% while shooting 51.4% from behind the arc.

Meredith and the Lady Toppers are rolling and will have their nine-game win streak challenged on the road against UAB Wednesday. WKU will then travel to Middle Tennessee Saturday for a game at 3 p.m.

Sports Reporter Rob Holmes IV can be reached at [email protected].