Isenbarger breaks program record in indoor high jump, WKU finishes with nine top-10 finishes at the PNC Lenny Lyles Invitational

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Hilltoppers’ senior Katie Isenbarger clears the crossbar at the high-jump at the Lenny Lyles Invitational track and field meet Saturday, Jan. 28 of 2022 at the Norton Healthcare Sports and Learning Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Isenbarger placed first in the event out of 27 competitors, though she had not high-jumped since her sophomore year.

Lynda Eernisse, Sports Reporter

The WKU Track and Field team headed to Louisville on Saturday for the PNC Lenny Lyles Invitational for its third meet of the indoor season. The Hilltoppers brought many achievements and lots of action, gaining nine top-10 finishes. 

“Overall we were a little flat but still put up some good PR’s; Demetrius (Rolle), Savannah (Heckman) and Ajla (Basic) all had good days,” Director of Cross Country/Track & Field Brent Chumbley said in a press release.

Senior Katie Isenbarger locked down a new program record for the women’s indoor high jump when she cleared 1.82m. 

For her first meet in two years Isenbarger made program history as she now holds three of the top five high jump records, and she tied with her own personal record from the outdoor season of 2019.

Fifth-year senior Savannah Heckman set a personal record in the 3,000 meter race where she finished fourth with a time of 9:49.06. She also placed ninth in the mile race and finished with a time of 4:56.55.

Freshman Ajla Basic earned herself a personal best in weight throw, throwing for 17.76m and finishing in ninth place. 

“The meet went well for some, but we learned there’s some aspects to the way we race that need to improve,” Assistant coach Brooks LeCompte said in a press release. “Positioning ourselves where we need to be and finishing races well is where we still have a lot of work to do as a unit.”

As for the men, senior Clint Sherman ran the 800 meter race in a personal record time of 1:55.72 and junior Miles Huff gained a PR in the 3,000 meter, breaking the nine-minute mark. 

Sophomore Demetrius Rolle posted a 6.77 60-meter time in the finals, moving him up to third place. Freshman Gabriel Dozier also gained a top-five finish in the 200m. 

“We still had our fair share of PRs from the group which was nice to see,” LeCompte said. “Overall, I think today’s meet will prepare us to be at our best when we need to be.” 

Up next the team will be in Louisville again for a meet hosted by Bellarmine on Friday.

Sports Reporter Lynda Eernisse can be reached at [email protected].