WKU releases event schedule for Black History Month

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

A list of events being held at WKU in February for Black History Month has been released. The theme for this year’s Black History Month is “Black Lives. Black Health. Black Wealth. We Matter” and events with a variety of topics will be held throughout the month.

The events will begin with the Black History Month Opening Ceremony at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 1 at the Harbaugh Club at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium. This celebratory kickoff event will feature performances from WKU student organizations such as Blaq Art Nouveau and Amazing Tones of Joy. It will also feature Tamera Lott, a graduate student providing the student charge. 

The event is sponsored by the Cultural Heritage Planning Committee and the Black Student Alliance, and it is open to the public with limited capacity. Those interested in attending need to contact the WKU Intercultural Student Engagement Center at 270-745-5066.

On Monday, Feb. 7 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on DSU second floor, What in the Health: Black Health Day will be held. This event will feature health professionals from WKU and the community that will provide information about various health topics, including nutrition, dental care, mental health counseling and physical fitness. It is sponsored by ISEC, the Counseling Center and Campus Recreation and Wellness.

There will be an introductory session for the Black, Indigenous, People of Color (BIPOC) Healing Circle offered at the Counseling Center. It will be held on Thursday, Feb. 17 at 3 p.m. via Zoom and serves as an introduction for students to learn about the “BIPOC Healing Circle”.

A Black History Month Keynote Address will be held on Monday, Feb. 21 at 6 p.m. in DSU auditorium featuring Jason Boyd. The presentation addresses his newest documentary, “We Matter,” and is sponsored by ISEC.

A panel discussion titled “Get Educated! Understanding Current and Proposed Reproductive Rights Policy” and its Impact on Kentuckians will be held on Thursday, Feb. 24 at 5 p.m. via Zoom. It will feature state representative Attica Scott from Louisville and Alex Acquisto, reporter at the Lexington Herald Leader. 

To RSVP, email [email protected]. The event is sponsored by the political science department, English department, the Gail B. Martin Lecture Series and a Catherine C. Ward Visiting Professorship Event.

The Black Experience: A Celebration of Perseverance will be held on Thursday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m. in DSU auditorium. The event will take participants through the timeline of Black Americans and expose the generational plight of Black people in America through performances from poets, singers, speakers, dancers and actors and spoken word. It is sponsored by Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. and the WKU Forensics Team.

The Department of Student Activities will sponsor a dynamic retreat titled “Breaking down Barriers: Multicultural Retreat” on Saturday, Feb. 26 at 11 a.m. at the Augenstein Alumni Center. It will focus on bringing together students of different backgrounds across campus to know one another and break down barriers and is free to all WKU students. 

To register, visit https://bit.ly/3qXcJr1.

On Saturday, Feb. 26 from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Knicely Center an event titled Kicks and Culture: A Tribute to Virgil Abloh Sneaker Gala will be held. This inaugural sneaker gala will be a night of entertainment, food, mocktails and more to celebrate and pay homage to Virgil Abloh, late fashion designer and sneaker head. Formal attire is mandatory, and tickets can be purchased for $10 in advance starting Feb. 1 and for $15 at the door. It is sponsored by ISEC and the Campus Activities Board.

For more information and updates, follow @wkuisec on social media or call at 270-745-5066. A calendar of every event held this month can be found at www.wku.edu/isec/blackhistorymonth.