Track and Field takes home trio of top finishes, 15 top fives in Bellarmine Classic

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Hilltoppers’ fifth-year Savannah Heckman (8) competes in the mile at the Lenny Lyles Invitational track and field meet Saturday, Jan. 28 of 2022 at the Norton Healthcare Sports and Learning Center in Louisville, Kentucky.

Wyatt Sparkman, Sports Editor

WKU Track and Field earned three top finishes to go with 15 top-five finishes in the PNC Bank Bellarmine Classic Friday. 

Senior Katie Isenbarger claimed another program record in the high jump for the second consecutive week, clearing 1.83m, a new personal record for her. The new PR is tied for eighth-best on the NCAA Indoor Performance List. 

The two wins for the Hilltoppers was junior Devon Montgomery in the men’s indoor pole vault height and freshman Ajla Basic in the women’s weight throw. Montgomery recorded a height of 4.66m, his first official height of the season and a new indoor personal best, while Basic won with a 17.75m throw. 

Four other of the Hilltoppers’ throwers came up with top finishes. For women’s, freshmen Aitana Safont Falomir and Ines Lopez Arias finished third in the weight throw and fourth in shot put, respectively. For the men, sophomore Kaison Barton finished second in the shot put and senior Brett Brannon placed third in the weight throw. 

WKU’s male sprinters came up with top finishes as well. In the 60m dash, senior Steven Simmons finished second while junior Jaden Warner placed sixth with a new PR of 7.05. Simmons also competed in the 200-meter, placing fifth. Junior Cedric Johnson brought back a second-placed finish in the 60m hurdle with a new personal record of 8.48. 

Sophomore Lucy Rutherford moved herself up into the top 10 of Conference USA times in the women’s 3,000-meter run, finishing with a 10:09:36. The time was a new personal best for her. 

Freshman Trey Kraimer and Jordan Eddy also claimed personal best in the 800m run, while freshman Collin Pruitt joined the other WKU mid-distance runners with a personal best in the men’s 3k. 

Up next, WKU will head to Birmingham, Ala. for the Samford Bulldog Invite Feb. 11-12. This will be the last meet before the C-USA Indoor Championship Feb. 19-20. 

Sports Editor Wyatt Sparkman can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @wyattsparkman3.