WKU Women’s Golf leads First Coast Classic after day one, Men’s unable to finish second round of Mobile Bay Intercollegiate

WKU Athletics

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers women’s golfer Sarah Arnold plays a practice round at Olde Stone Country Club. 

Lynda Eernisse, Sports Reporter

WKU Men’s and Women’s Golf wrapped up the first day of their respective tournaments Monday afternoon with three top-10 finishes.

The men’s side competed at the Mobile Bay Intercollegiate in Mobile, Ala. Further down south, the women played at the First Coast Classic in Jacksonville, Fla. 

WOMEN’s

The ladies led a fantastic day at Deerwood Country Club, playing 36 holes and leading the First Coast Classic by one stroke. The Lady Toppers shot a morning round of 18-over 306 to a two-under 286 in the afternoon, the sixth-lowest in program history.

Fifth-year senior Olivia Reed and sophomore Rachel Rich finished in the top 10; Reed in third and Rich in sixth. Reed shot an even-par 72 and 2-under 70 while Rich shot 3-over 75 and 2-over 74. Rich is a shot back out of the top five where Reed is a one stroke out of second and five strokes out of first. 

Junior Sarah Arnold had the lowest score of the day, shooting 4-under 68, which ties for seventh best by an individual in program history. 

Senior Kenlie Berret shot 7-over 79 and 2-over 74, improving by five strokes. Freshman Faith Martin scored a first round score 8-over 80 and a second round score of 11-over 83. 

Currently, WKU is sitting at first place in their tournament by one stroke at +16, and right behind them with a +17 is Eastern Kentucky.  

Tuesday, the Lady Toppers will play the last 18 holes of the tournament, starting the day with a shotgun start at 7:30 a.m.

MEN 

On the men’s side, there was more of a struggle on the course at Magnolia Grove Crossings Golf Course on Monday. WKU was able to complete its first round but had play suspended partially through the second due to darkness. 

Leading the Hilltoppers is junior Luke Fuller, who currently is tied for 10th place after securing five birdies throughout the day. He sits at 2-under 70. 

Freshman Riley Grindstaff and fifth-year senior Caleb O’Toole both shot 5-over 77 and are tied for 66th in the tournament. The Hilltoppers’ other tie of the day came with sophomores Connery Meyer and Aaron Pha finishing tied for 69th place after shooting 78s on the day. 

Tuesday, WKU played roughly four to five holes to finish its second round before heading into the third and final round. Tee off is set for 8 a.m.

Softball Reporter Lynda Eernisse can be reached at [email protected]