New campus organization aiming to empower women to hold first meeting

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

Two WKU students announced in Janurary that they were organizating the Feminist Student Union to help and empower women through feminism.

Co-presidents Olivia Neil and Abi Fitzgibbon created an Instagram account to spread the word and will be holding their first ever meeting this Wednesday, Feb. 23 at 5 p.m. in DSU 2124.

Photo provided by the Western Kentucky University Feminist Student Union.

Neil contacted Fitzgibbon to ask if she would like to be involved in the creation of a Feminist Student Union last semester. Fitzgibbon, a freshman family and consumer sciences with a concentration in education and social work major, explained why she helped begin FSU.

“Olivia contacted me and asked me to help her start this organization, we got together and talked about what we wanted it to look like,” Fitzgibbon said. “I wrote the constitution and we elected officers. We wanted to start it because we wanted to get involved on campus, but none of the organizations had an overall feminist message.”

Everyone is welcome to come to the first meeting to see if they’re interested in FSU. Fitz spoke on what this meeting will cover and why she believes that students should join.

“We’re covering the idea that if you support a woman in your life, you’re already halfway there,” Fitzgibbon said. “A lot of our purpose is to create a safe space for women and allies and to join together and fight against injustice. Everyone deserves a place to feel safe on campus.”

The FSU has planned multiple events throughout the semester to broaden campus involvement, especially during March, which is Women’s History Month. These events include a day outside, partnerships with local shelters to raise funds and supply reproductive health products and more tabling in DSU.

“We’re also pretty soon planning a paint night to de-stress and help spread the word about FSU, and it’ll allow a good opportunity to connect with members or anyone that has questions,” Fitzgibbon said.

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]