WKU Department of Theatre and Dance putting on week of “Eurydice” performances

WKU Department of Theatre and Dance

The WKU Department of Theatre and Dance is holding a week’s worth of performances of “Eurydice”. Tickets are $16 for adults and $12 for students and seniors.

Alexandria Anderson, News Reporter

The WKU Department of Theatre and Dance will perform “Eurydice” from Friday, Feb. 25 through Tuesday, March 1, with nightly performances at 7:30 p.m. each day and a 2:00 p.m. matinee performance on Sunday. It will be held in the Gordon Wilson Lab Theater. 

“Eurydice” tells an adapted story of the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, focusing on Eurydice’s experience as she enters the Underworld.

Alan White, assistant professor of acting and director of “Eurydice”, explained the main idea and themes that the production focuses on.

“It [the play] looks at what Eurydice might have experienced if she had to make that choice between losing a parent and losing a husband,” White said. “Themes that run throughout the play are themes of memory; what kind of memories do we personally hold as precious and what would we give up to save our most precious memories, or what memories we would give up to save what we find most precious.”

The show has a message that could be applicable to many in the WKU community. White spoke on some of the reasons why students should see the production.

“Students should come and see the production particularly because our WKU students are really on the cusp of making big life choices and maybe have not reflected back a lot of times,” White said. “There are characters who are empowered and underpowered to make choices; that can speak to a lot of students. And the play will truly be beautiful, the actors have brought their artistry to the show and the designers have brought this gorgeous world to surround them.”

The production has also been beneficial to the cast and crew through connections they made to the story and its characters. It also offered the opportunity for members that were still getting started with theater to see the full production process. White explained why many cast members felt drawn to the play.

“It’s been different for everyone, some of the members of the artistic team have gone through personal loss similar to the characters so they gravitate towards the show because they share a life experience,” White said. “For some, the show spoke to them for different reasons, because of the mythology or feelings of affinity to one of the characters so they were excited to be a part of it.”

Tickets are $16 for adults and $12 for students and seniors and can be purchased online.

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]