WKU Men’s Golf tied for 14th place at Tiger Invitational

Wyatt Richardson/WKU Athletics

Freshman Riley Grindstaff of the WKU Hilltoppers men’s golf team plays a qualifying round at Bowling Green Country Club on Sept. 17, 2021.

Piper McCoun, Sports Reporter

The WKU Men’s Golf Team tied for 14th place on Monday afternoon at the Tiger Invitational in Opelika, Alabama. The Hilltoppers finished the competition with a 14-over 302. 

“We have had the best few weeks of qualifying, in terms of scores, leading into this event, ones we haven’t had in quite a while,” WKU head coach Chan Metts said. “We had four different guys dip into the 60s leading up to this event, but it just didn’t translate this week. It was just another really tough week all around. We didn’t do anything particularly well as a team, especially during the first round when the course was the most gettable.”

WKU shot a 15-over 75 through the first round and finished in 15th place on Sunday. Freshman Riley Grindstaff shot the low of 3-over 75, stroking two birdies on the back nine. 

Fifth-year senior Caleb O’Toole, sophomore Connery Meyer and junior Luke Fuller all shot 4-over 76 on the day. Fifth-year senior Jack Poole hit 8-over 80, knocking in two birdies. 

WKU shot an 8-over 296 in the second round, improving by seven strokes. The Hilltoppers’ low round for the entire event was shot by O’Toole in the second round. He shot 1-under 71 in the round with five birdies in the 18-hole round. O’Toole clocked a 3-over 75 in the final round to tie for 46th. 

Grindstaff shot a pair of 2-over 74’s in the second and third rounds to finish in 56th place at 7-over 223. Meyer assisted the Hilltoppers through the competition on Monday, shooting 5-over 77 and 3-over 75. Meyer tied for 71st just two places ahead of Fuller, who shot a 2-over 74 and a 7-over 79. Poole’s scores counted for WKU in the third round, shooting a 6-over 78. 

“We still have some very obvious areas to clean up and decision making, from a course management standpoint, is at the top of that list,” Metts said. “We will be getting back to work tomorrow.”

The Hilltoppers next competition will take place April 1-3 in Music City at the Mason Rudolph Championship hosted by Vanderbilt. 

Sports Reporter Piper McCoun can be reached at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter @piper_mccoun.