Lady Topper Golf finishes second at Spring Break Shootout

Adi Schanie, Sports Reporter

The WKU Women’s Golf Team earned its best finish of the season at the Spring Break Shootout on Tuesday. The Lady Toppers finished second with a final-round score of 3-over 287 at the par-72, 6,056-yard Lake Jovita Golf & Country Club in Dade City, Florida. 

“We put together some pretty solid rounds of golf this week,” WKU head coach Adam Gary said. “We came really close to winning it all today and that stings a little bit that we didn’t. Regardless, it was still some of our better golf on the year, and I commend the team for showing up to compete in the final round after a long road trip.” 

The Lady Toppers played their first two rounds Monday, shooting a 4-over 288 and 9-over 293 and were just two shots back from team leader Florida Gulf Coast.

Senior Kenlie Barrett led the Lady Toppers to the second-place finish. She hit four pars and a birdie to finish with a 2-under 69 in the final round. She placed a team-best seventh and moved up 12 spots on the individual leaderboard.

Sophomore Rachel Rich shot 1-over 72 on the day. She bounced back with even-keel golf after withdrawing from round two. She sank 15 pars over the 18 holes.  

Fifth-year senior Olivia Reed and freshman Faith Martin both shot 2-over 73’s in the final round. Reed tied for eighth at 4-over 217 while Martin placed 28th at 10-over 223. The freshman closed out her back nine with two birdies, one bogey and six pars.

Junior Sarah Arnold tied for 11th after ending the Shootout with a 4-over 75. She finished at 5-over 218 for the tournament, hitting a birdie on her final hole of the day. Freshman Catie Craig also finished with a 4-over 75 and tied for 34th after competing as an individual. 

WKU Women’s Golf will be back in action as it wraps up its regular season with the Ironwood Invitational hosted by Eastern Carolina on April 4-5.

Sports Reporter Adi Schanie can be reached at [email protected]