HRL to offer early housing to students impacted by flooding

WKU+community+advisor+Brianna+Wright%2C+and+resident+advisors+Victoria+Branch%2C+Calysta+Fuller+and+Syrenity+Smith+set+up+boxes+to+aid+freshman+moving+into+Pearce+Ford+Tower.+

Brittany Fisher

WKU community advisor Brianna Wright, and resident advisors Victoria Branch, Calysta Fuller and Syrenity Smith set up boxes to aid freshman moving into Pearce Ford Tower.

Madison Carter, News reporter

WKU Housing and Residence Life is offering early housing to current or incoming students impacted by flooding in Eastern Kentucky who are planning to live on campus this fall. 

The death toll in Eastern Kentucky rose to 37 on Monday evening, with many more still missing, Gov. Andy Beshear announced. Beshear is urging people in areas already hit by flooding to find shelter on higher ground as more rain is expected to hit Eastern Kentucky Monday night into Tuesday morning. 

Students impacted by flooding that already have housing assignments are being offered a bed in the summer housing residence hall Rodes Harlin free of charge for the remainder of the summer housing term, Lana Kunkel, director of housing operations said. 

Photo provided by WKU Housing and Residence Life.

The summer housing term ends on the morning of Aug. 10, but students can start moving to fall assignments on the evening of Aug. 9.  

The best way to contact HRL for assistance is through email, Kunkel said. The HRL email account is being monitored closely to ensure students in need can be assisted. 

HRL posted the information for this assistance on social media and reached out to admissions counselors, the dean of students office, and other campus partners who are most likely to have contact with impacted students, Kunkel said. 

No students have reached out for assistance at this time, according to Kunkel

“We do have students living with us right now in the apartments that we own, as well as Rodes and Hilltopper hall, so we did a quick audit to see if anybody is from the Eastern Kentucky area,” Kunkel said. “We have one student who is currently here living with us, so we reached out to him and made sure he is doing okay. The good news is his family was safe, they were okay, and he appreciated us reaching out.”

Students in need of assistance can contact HRL at [email protected] or (270) 745-4359.