WKU to host second annual Topper Fest to celebrate new semester

Students sit outside on South Lawn during Topper Fest on Friday, Aug. 20, 2021.

Brittany Fisher

Alexandria Anderson, Content Editor

The second annual Topper Fest will take place Friday, Aug. 19 at 5:30 p.m. on South Lawn to celebrate the fall semester and bring together the campus community.

Topper Fest signifies a launch to the new academic year, a gathering for members of the WKU community and a welcoming to incoming students. Interactive children’s activities, food trucks, live music and fireworks will all make up this year’s event.

Free t-shirts will be given to the first 2000 guests. Games, face painting and inflatables are all included in the event activities for members, friends and family of the WKU community.

The Downtown Band, voted Top 10 Live Bands in the United States by Industry Expert Awards, will provide live music for Topper Fest. Other than winning multiple other live band awards, The Downtown Band has opened for Elton John and Lana Del Rey.

Food will be available from Aramark and local food trucks, and the fireworks show, sponsored by PNC Bank, will begin at dark. 

Admission and parking are free, with parking available in Parking Structure Two.

“It’s an opportunity to bring the entire WKU community together to celebrate and kick off the new year,” Jace Lux, director of Media Relations said. “It’s an important faculty and staff opportunity to come to campus and kick off the year the right way.”

Topper Fest also marks the end of M.A.S.T.E.R. Plan, the weeklong freshman orientation, providing a community celebration of incoming students before the fall semester starts.

“It makes new students more familiar and lets them meet faculty and staff and administration,” Lux said. “It’s good for the community to bring family and friends and have that opportunity for fellowship.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]