WKU Soccer draws with rival Blue Raiders

WKU+%2313+Katie+Erwin%2C+a+forward+from+Louisville%2C+Ky+runs+through+a+tunnel+of+teammates+during+the+opening+ceremony+at+Thursday%E2%80%99s+game+against+the+University+of+Texas+at+El+Paso+on+Sept.+22%2C+2022.++The+Hilltoppers+won+1-0.++

Michael Dylan Payne

WKU #13 Katie Erwin, a forward from Louisville, Ky runs through a tunnel of teammates during the opening ceremony at Thursday’s game against the University of Texas at El Paso on Sept. 22, 2022. The Hilltoppers won 1-0.

Jake McMahon, Soccer Reporter

WKU Soccer (4-5-3, 1-2-1 C-USA) tied with the Middle Tennessee State Blue Raiders (2-6-2, 0-2-1 C-USA) 1-1 in the fourth game of conference play Sunday evening at the Dean A. Hayes track and Soccer Stadium in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

WKU Sophomore Kayla Meyer had an outstanding performance against MTSU. She had the sole goal for the HIlltoppers and four total shots on goal. The Hilltoppers played a very physical brand of soccer against the Blue Raiders, accumulating 15 fouls and two yellow cards. 

Both clubs got off to a slow start. There were no shots taken for both teams through the first 15 minutes. WKU also looked undisciplined through most of the first half, collecting six fouls and five offside calls.

This changed when a shot from sophomore Kayla Meyer off of a rebound found the back of the net, giving WKU the lead 1-0 in the 35th minute. MTSU attempted to tie the match back up before halftime but the Hilltopper defense made a stand, taking the lead into the break.

MTSU took the momentum early in the second half. A chip shot from Blue Raider freshman Emma Petterson got over fifth-year keeper Alexis Bach in the 46th minute and tied the match up 1-1.

The second half was back-and-forth for the rest of the way. Both clubs tallied nine shots in the half. WKU applied a lot of pressure to the MTSU defense late in the match, getting three shots within the last ten minutes but not being able to find the back of the net. The match ended in a draw 1-1. 

The Hilltoppers will play their fifth game of conference play against Florida International University on Friday at the FIU Soccer Stadium in Miami, Florida.

Sports reporter Jake McMahon be reached at [email protected]