Bowling Green, WKU to face severe winter weather

Alexandra Hendricks

Snow falls on the campus of Western Kentucky University on the night of Jan. 19, 2022. The night’s snowfall left 1 to 2 inches of snow around Bowling Green, leading to the cancelling of classes on Jan. 20, 2022.

Alexandria Anderson, Content Editor

The WKU campus community is urged to take winter weather precautions as the Bowling Green region experiences severe weather beginning Thursday evening.

Jace Lux, university spokesperson, issued the warning via email, describing the cold front and precautions to take before the severe weather. According to the email, a wind chill watch for the Bowling Green area has been issued by the National Weather Service through Friday.

The email stated the cold front will cause “immediate and dramatic changes” when it arrives between 5 and 6 p.m. on Thursday. Winds ranging from 30 to 40 miles per hour and temperatures close to zero degrees or lower are expected through Friday morning.

Low temperatures and high wind will cause even lower wind chills on Friday, with temperatures as low as -15 to -20 degrees. Friday morning conditions in particular will be dangerous, Lux stated.

Lux also stated the possibility of snow just after sunset Thursday due to rain developing ahead of the cold front. The amount remains uncertain, however the current estimate is one to two inches.

Governor Andy Beshear issued a state of emergency for Kentucky today ahead of the severe cold front. Alongside this, he urged those traveling to get to their destinations at least before midday Thursday, as to avoid icy roads and dangerous conditions.

The email explained travel, exposure and infrastructure will be most heavily affected by this severe weather and any wet surfaces are expected to freeze rapidly. Recovery from the severe cold front will start Dec. 25 and will continue to increase into January.

Lux issued precautions to those in the region to avoid the danger coming with the cold front.

Remember to unhook hoses from outdoor faucets, open cabinets below sinks, and keep water dripping from indoor faucets to help prevent frozen pipes,” Lux said via email. “Avoid travel Friday morning if at all possible. Also, please keep pets indoors!”

Content editor Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].