WKU Track and Field competes in Bellarmine Classic

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU Hilltoppers’ senior Katie Isenbarger clears the crossbar at the high-jump at the Lenny Lyles Invitational track and field meet Saturday, Jan. 28 of 2022 at the Norton Healthcare Sports and Learning Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Isenbarger placed first in the event out of 27 competitors, though she had not high-jumped since her sophomore year.

Chaz Mackey

WKU competed in the Ballarmine Classic in Louisville, Kentucky on Friday, Feb. 3. As a team, the Hilltoppers placed eighth in men’s and ninth in women’s overall. 

Leading the charge for the time was senior Katie Isenbarger who not only won the event but also set a new school record for the women’s indoor high jump, clearing 1.84 meters. Her jump is currently tied for ninth in the NCAA’s women’s indoor high jump division. This is Isenbarger’s second consecutive victory.

Following her was freshman Allison Arnett who was tied for ninth with a jump of 1.55 meters.

On the track were also solid showings by junior Demetrius Rolle who won the men’s 60-meter with a time of 6.78 and earned eighth place in the men’s 200-meter. Additionally, Sophomore Gabriel Dozier placed third in the men’s 200, with a time of 22:11. 

Continuing the successes was freshman Julain Klenner who placed second in the men’s 400-meter clocking a time of 48:02.

The Hilltoppers succeeded in the pit as well. Freshman Ajla Basic finished second in the women’s weight throw with a distance of 18.62 meters. Sophomore Kaison Barton placed fifth in shot put with a throw of 15.29 meters and seventh in weight throw at 17.57 meters.  

Following Barton was senior Brett Brannon placing eighth in the weight throw with a mark of 17.28 meters.  Junior Grace Turner also placed sixth in the women’s pole vault with a 3.65 meter clear.

The Hilltoppers will be back in action Feb. 18-19 at the C-USA Indoor Championships in Birmingham, Alabama.

Sports reporter Chaz Mackey can be reached at [email protected] .