WKU Women’s Basketball loses to MTSU

Marshall C. Canupp

WKU Lady Topper freshman guard Mya Meredith (5) drives to the rim through the West Virginia State University Yellow Jackets defense.

Jake McMahon

WKU Women’s Basketball (13-10, CUSA 10-4) lost their first conference game since Jan. 21 to the Middle Tennessee State University Blue Raiders (19-4, C-USA 12-2) 94-81 on Thursday, Feb. 9 at Montae Hall Arena.

Sophomore guard Mya Meredith played well in the contest. Meredith tallied 21 points and six rebounds. She went a perfect 5-5 from three and an impressive 8-9 from the field.

Freshman guard Acacia Hayes also gave a good performance against the Blue Raiders. Hayes had 17 points, four assists and two boards. 

WKU got off to a hot start. An early 8-3 run had the Hilltoppers up five right out the gate. WKU would continue to add onto their lead in the first quarter. 

A fastbreak bucket from freshman guard Acacia Hayes put the Lady Toppers up 17-10 with 5:30 left in the first. However, the Blue Raiders’ offense picked up speed. MTSU went on a 11-5 run to end the quarter and cut the Lady Topper lead to one, 22-21. 

WKU started the second quarter on fire from the perimeter. Three different Lady Toppers drained a three to start the period as WKU took a 31-21 lead. 

MTSU quickly responded to the Lady Topper run. MTSU went on a 10-0 run of their own to tie the game back up at 31. 

The Blue Raiders continued to control the quarter. MTSU ended the half on an 18-11 run to go up 49-42. 

MTSU took their momentum from the second quarter back out onto the floor in the third. A 10-6 Blue Raider lead put the Lady Toppers in a 10 point hole, 59-49. 

However, WKU did not back down to the double digit deficit. The Lady Toppers went on a 17-10 run to end the quarter and cut their deficit down to three 69-66. 

Despite WKU’s ability to gain some momentum late in the third, MTSU proved to be too much for the Lady Toppers in the fourth. The Blue Raiders opened up the last period of play on a 15-8 run which had MTSU up 10, 84-74, with three minutes left in the game. 

WKU was unable to put themselves back in a position to win. The Lady Toppers lost the battle 94-81. 

WKU will look to get back on track Thursday, Feb. 16 against the Charlotte Miners at E.A. Diddle Arena. 

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected] .