WKU Track and Field competes in Tiger Track Classic

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Senior Katie Isenbarger competes in high-jump during day one of Western Kentucky University’s Hilltopper Relays Friday, April 1, 2022 at the Charles M. Ruter Track and Field Complex in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

Chaz Mackey

WKU Track & Field competed in their first outdoor event of the season at the Tiger Track Classic in Auburn, Alabama, March 17-18.  

Highlights from the events came from freshman sprinter Julian Klenner. He won the men’s 200m by running a time of 21.45,  giving WKU the only win on the day.

In the same event, sophomore Gabriel Dozier placed fifth, clocking a time of 21.85. In the 100m, junior Demetrius Rolle placed fourth with a time of 10.68 and Gabriel Dozier finished 14th in the race.

On the field, WKU also saw bright performances as three Hilltoppers placed top 10 in the men’s hammer throw. Senior Brett Brannon claimed fifth place with a throw of 54.45m. Freshman Luke Stegman finished ninth with a throw of 51.16m. Senior John Elam followed up with a distance of 48.93m. 

Additionally, sophomore Kaison Barton placed sixth in the short put event with a throw of 15.81m

On the women’s side of the field, freshman Ajla Basic finished runner up in the hammer throw event with a distance of 57.78m. Sophomore Rachel Flinchum also made a throw of 45.00m. 

Sophomore Ilana Anderson threw 27.68m in the javelin event,  placing 10th. In the high jump, freshman Allison Arnett grabbed sixth place with a leap of 1.60m and junior Grace Turner placed ninth with the same jump of 1.60m. Arnett had three high jump attempts, while Turner had two.

To continue the season, WKU will host their only home, the Hilltoppers’s Relays, March 31- April 1.

Sports reporter Chaz Mackey can be reached at [email protected] .