WKU Track and Field Hosts the Hilltopper Relays

Tucker Covey

Freshman distance runner Audrey Boles and Freshman distance runner Rylee Evans compete in the women’s 5000m during the WKU Hilltopper Relays 2023 on Saturday, April 1, 2023 at the Charles M. Ruter Track and Field Complex. Boles finished sixth overall with a final time of 19:37.92 and Evans finished third overall with a final time of 18:59.60.

Chaz Mackey

WKU Track and Field hosted the Hilltopper Relays March 31-April 1 in Bowling Green, Kentucky. 

During the meet, the Hilltopper senior athletes were honored for their accomplishments. Additionally, former WKU Track and Field athlete and 1974 NCAA Shot Put Champion, Jesse Stewart, was recognized with a jersey retirement. 

Starting on the track, WKU Relay teams had multiple wins. The 4x100m relay team consisting of freshman Dalin Siggers, freshman Julian Klenner, sophomore Gabriel Dozier and junior Demetrius Rolle came first place clocking a time of 41.30. 

Additionally, the men’s 4×400 team made up of Klenner, Dozier, junior Rafael Teodoro da Silva and sophomore Zackery Martinez with a time of 3:21.77

To continue the WKU hot streak, Rolle won the 100m with a time of 10.49. Klenner also brought home a win inthe men’s 400m with a time of 48.02. 

Martinez won the men’s 400m hurdles, blazing in with a 54.31 time. Freshman Dalton Lesher claimed number one in the men’s 800m at 1:57.29.

On the field, WKU had great performances. All-American senior Katie Isenbarger won the women’s high jump clearing 1.77m. Junior Grace Turner also competed in the high jump and took fifth place with a jump of 1.60m.  

In the men’s field, Freshman Luke Stegman won the discus with a throw of 48.15m. Senior John Elam followed closely behind, placing third with a distance of 42.35m. 

Turner continued her good performance, finishing second in both javelin and pole vault with a throw of 30.55m and a vault of 3.50m.

To continue the season, WKU will compete at the Joe Walker Invitational at Ole Miss Track & Field Complex on April 7-8.

Sports reporter Chaz Mackey can be reached at [email protected] .