‘View from the Hill’ host retires after 15 years

Alexandria Anderson, Editor-in-Chief

After countless episodes highlighting all that WKU has to offer the community, Amy Bingham DeCesare, WKU coordinator of broadcast services, is retiring from her position at the end of this month.

A large part of DeCesare’s WKU career is her role on View from the Hill, a weekly segment highlighting WKU that is aired on WBKO news, which she has produced since starting at WKU in 2008.

DeCesare’s last segment aired on May 25, in which she thanked viewers, WKU and WBKO for the “opportunity to create and share” View from the Hill. She said getting to experience so many facets of campus was valuable to her time here.

“It’s meant everything,” DeCesare said. “The opportunity to profile different things around campus, whether it was academic related, athletics related […] it’s very inspiring, all of the students that I’ve gotten to come in contact with and faculty and programs, and every week was something different.”

While experiencing the unique aspects of campus, DeCesare said it was “an honor and a privilege” to show these aspects to a wider audience.

“I felt like I got a whole new education with this job because I got to learn about so many different aspects of campus, and just showcase the way that WKU supports students and elevates the broader community,” DeCesare said.

DeCesare said she will miss simply being on campus and being involved in the campus community the most after her retirement, as she and her family have a deep connection with WKU. DeCesare graduated in the late 1980s with a bachelor’s degree in broadcasting, and her children and husband are also WKU alumni.

“I think I’ll just really miss being on campus and the coworkers that I’ve had, [since] many of them have been the same over the years,” DeCesare said. “Just the routine of coming to campus and being a part of the campus, and it’s just so beautiful here. There’s a lot of wonderful perks to being an employee of Western Kentucky University, and I’ve tried to take advantage of every one of them.”

During her 15 years in this position, DeCesare hopes that she has made viewers aware of the “wonderful things” that go on at the university, through the broad reach of WBKO. Like those that held the position before her, she also hopes the next person to fill the role will continue the View from the Hill franchise.

“Sometimes when we’re here on campus, we know what’s going on, but the people outside of the campus may not,” DeCesare said. “So I felt like that was my job, just to enlighten the public about the wonders of Western Kentucky University.”

Editor-in-chief Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].