WKU Volleyball wins first match of Holiday Inn – University Plaza Invitational

WKU Volleyball team celebrates during their game against Charlotte on Monday, Feb. 22, 2021 in Diddle Arena.

WKU Volleyball defeated the Troy University Trojans in the first game of the Holiday Inn – University Plaza invitational on Sept. 7. The tournament is hosted by WKU at E.A Diddle Arena. 

The Hilltoppers now hold a 5-3 record for the season.

The Hilltoppers claimed the first set 25-16. As a team, WKU put up 15 kills with a .389 hitting percentage.

In the second set, the Trojans put more pressure on WKU, but ultimately the Hilltoppers won 25-20. They acquired a cumulative 14 kills and a .258 hitting percentage.

To close the game, WKU won the third set 25-16 and added a third sweep to their 2023 season record. They had their strongest set of the game, posting a .472 hitting percentage and a total of 19 kills.

Fifth year outside hitter Paige Briggs led the Hilltoppers in kills with 17. Sophomore defensive specialist Abby Schaefer posted 14 diggs.

New additions to the team continued to demonstrate their strengths as redshirt freshman outside and middle hitter Logan Grevengoed and freshman middle hitter Gabby Weihe both grabbed 5 blocks each in the matchup.

Additionally, redshirt sophomore setter Callie Bauer dominated with 36 assists.

WKU will return to the court tonight at 7p.m. CST to take on No.17 Arkansas in E.A. Diddle Arena.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].