WKU Hosts Cross Country Invitational

Credit: WKU Athletics
WKU cross-country runners practicing at Charles M. Ruter Track and Field Complex. Oct., 15 2020

WKU Cross Country hosted its first invitational since 2019, Friday, placing second in women’s and fourth in men’s.

Five teams competed in the WKU Invitational alongside WKU. Murray State, Cumberlands, Campbellsville, and Kentucky Wesleyan were pitted against WKU’s men and women’s cross country team.

The women’s cross country team completed second in the entire race. Freshman Kinley Kunkel placed seventh with a time of 24:01. Junior Mary Dye placed 13th with a time of 25:35. Fellow freshman Keelin Elmer followed not long after, placing 14th with a time of 25:43.

Freshman Jared Sandfoss led the men’s cross country team, placing ninth with a time of 26:05. Sophomore Wade Balcom placed 14th with a time of 26:50. Senior Brad Wiggins trailed not far after, placing sixteenth with a time of 26:54.

Head Coach Ron Becht says he’s happy with where the team is at. “The freshman, it’s the first time they’ve run the 6k and the 8k, especially for the guys, going from 5k to 8k is a big adjustment,” Becht said. 

Next, the Hilltoppers will participate in the Live in the Lou Classic Sept. 30 in Louisville, Ky.

Sports reporter Morgan Larkins can be reached at [email protected].