WKU Football prepares for Thursday Contest at Louisiana Tech

Wide+Receiver+Jimmy+Holiday+misses+a+pass+in+the+end+zone+during+a+game+against+Middle+Tennessee+State+University++at+L.T+Smith+Stadium+in+Bowling+Green+on+Thursday%2C+Sept.+28%2C+2023.+
Dominic Di Palermo
Wide Receiver Jimmy Holiday misses a pass in the end zone during a game against Middle Tennessee State University at L.T Smith Stadium in Bowling Green on Thursday, Sept. 28, 2023.

The Hilltoppers enter week two of inner-Conference USA play against Louisiana Tech Thursday, coming off of a 31-10 victory against Middle Tennessee State at home this past week.

Traveling to Ruston, Louisiana, the Tops will take the field in Joe Aillet Stadium against a 3-3 Bulldogs team who are fresh off of a 24-10 win over UTEP. Louisiana Tech has taken wins against Florida International and Northwestern State and losses at the hands of North Texas, Nebraska and SMU. 

The Bulldogs are led by redshirt sophomore backup quarterback Jack Turner after Hank Bachmeier, a transfer from Boise State, went down with a shoulder injury. Through four games played, Turner has posted a 60% completion rate on 590 yards and three touchdowns to two interceptions. Currently, the Bulldogs leading rushers are Tye Shelton, Keith Willis, and Charvis Thornton, who’s 689 yards and seven touchdowns contribute to the team’s total offensive ranking of 80th in the nation – 47 slots better than WKU’s total defense (127th). 

Currently, the Hilltoppers offense is rolling, as the unit’s 26th ranked passing attack is riding on the shoulders of graduate quarterback Austin Reed, who’s 1,368 yards and 11 touchdowns are both C-USA bests. The pass game will have to be on point against the Bulldogs, who currently boast the sixth total pass defense in the nation. 

Luckily for the Hilltoppers, the Bulldog’s run defense is ranked second-to-last nationally. With running backs sophomore L.T. Sanders and redshirt sophomore Markese Stepp coming off of season-high performances against MTSU, the Tops will likely rely on the quad of ball-carriers in their backfield. 

The Hilltoppers will take on the Bulldogs on Thursday at 7:00 PM CT, the game will be aired on ESPNU.

Football Reporter Derrick Deen can be reached at [email protected]