‘I want to be visible’: Spanish students hold Hispanic Arts Showcase for Hispanic Heritage Month

Freshman+Myrrisa+Belcher+performs+a+Latin+Jazz+song+on+the+flute+during+the+Hispanic+Heritage+Month+Art+Showcase+at+the+Downing+Student+Union+on+Monday%2C+Oct.+9%2C+2023.+Belcher+performed+as+part+of+Professor+Yertty+Vandermolen%E2%80%99s+Spanish+101+class+that+gave+presentations+at+the+art+showcase.+
Dominic Di Palermo
Freshman Myrrisa Belcher performs a Latin Jazz song on the flute during the Hispanic Heritage Month Art Showcase at the Downing Student Union on Monday, Oct. 9, 2023. Belcher performed as part of Professor Yertty Vandermolen’s Spanish 101 class that gave presentations at the art showcase.

In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, annually celebrated from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15, Professor Yertty VanderMolen and her Spanish 101 classes hosted the Hispanic Art Showcase to honor Hispanic culture.

On Oct. 9 from 3:30-7:30 p.m., students in VanderMolen’s classes performed stage presentations, displayed self-made Hispanic art pieces and offered cultural Hispanic food samples to members of the WKU community in attendance. 

The showcase is important because it allows students to express themselves while learning about Hispanic culture, VanderMolen said. 

Many students expressed their talents through drawings and paintings of Hispanic themes, while other students read poetry or sang traditional songs. 

Students who didn’t want to perform or create art pieces were able to present information about important Hispanic figures, or prepare traditional cuisines to serve at the showcase. 

“I want all my students to be involved,” VanderMolen said. “The idea was for students to bring what they are passionate about and connect it to the Hispanic culture, so they can express themselves through their talents.”

Noah Norris, freshman choir student, performed the song “Quizás, Quizás, Quizás,” written by Cuban songwriter Osvaldo Farrés in 1947. 

The song has become a classic throughout the years, being sung by artists like Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Doris Day. 

“The main character is asking a girl if she loves him, and she always responds with ‘perhaps, perhaps, perhaps,’” Norris said. “The song is important because it brings attention to the Hispanic culture in general, and it is a relatable experience that globally everyone can relate to.”

Spanish 101 student Jacob Sanders’ drawing of Santa Muerte is displayed during the Hispanic Heritage Month Art Showcase at the Downing Student Union on Monday, Oct. 9, 2023. (Dominic Di Palermo)

Wanting to create an art piece for the showcase, freshman Alicia Jachimowicz built a llama shaped piñata to celebrate Hispanic tradition. 

The piñata, around two and a half feet tall, was made out of scrap cardboard, and covered in colorful pieces of tissue paper. 

“A piñata sounded interesting to do,” Jachimowicz said. “I used scrap pieces of cardboard, drew out the shapes, put candy inside and taped the sides together.”

Jachimowicz said she admires Hispanic Heritage Month for the way people honor and celebrate their culture. 

“I don’t know much about my own background, so I think it’s nice to see people celebrate where they come from,” Jachimowicz said. 

For VanderMolen, the showcase represents the growth and impact of Hispanic culture in Bowling Green. 

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Hispanic or Latino population made up 8.3% of the total Bowling Green population in 2022. 

“I want them to be aware that the Hispanic population is growing, and that Bowling Green is an example of that migration,” VanderMolen said. “What they are studying is highly connected, and they will be using their skills here in Kentucky.”

VanderMolen, from Peru, also uses this event to bring attention to the Hispanic population on WKU’s campus. 

“For the longest time, I felt like my heritage was not recognized,” VanderMolen said. “I am one of the few Hispanic professors on campus, so I want to be visible and make connections with my students.”

News Reporter Madison Carter can be reached at m[email protected]