WKU Cross Country participates in Angel Mounds Invitational

Credit: WKU Athletics
WKU cross-country runners practicing at Charles M. Ruter Track and Field Complex. Oct., 15 2020

WKU Cross Country concluded its regular season Friday at the Angel Mounds Invitational with the women’s squad in 10th place in the 5k and the men’s squad placing 12th in the 8k.

The races took place at Angel Mounds Cross Country Course in Evansville, Ind.

19 teams competed in the Angel Mounds Invitational on Friday. There were 174 men’s competitors and 168 women’s competitors. 

Freshman led the way for the Hilltoppers once again. Jared Sandfoss and Kinley Kunkel led the men and women’s squad in their races. Sandfoss and Kunkel have been the top two finishers in all four races this season.

Five Hilltoppers in the women’s squad completed the race in the top 100. Three of the men’s squad members improved their 8k time. 

Kunkel completed the race with a time of 23:05 and placed 41st overall. Kunkel improved her 5k time by one minute at the Invitational. Sophomore Rylee Evans followed Kunkel with a time of 23:50 and placed 66th. Fellow sophomore Kynzlei Bassett placed 70th with a time of 23:55.

The men’s squad was led by Jared Sandfoss. He placed 57th and had a time of 26:47, an improvement of one second from his last 8k time. Sophomore Rowan Wilkinson followed Sandfoss’ lead with a time of 27:44 and placed 93rd. He improved his 8k once again by 21 seconds at the Angel Mounds Invitational. Freshman Revor Hudnall placed 97th with a time of 27:48. 

The meet concluded the Hilltoppers regular cross country season. Postseason activities will kick off Oct. 28 with the C-USA Championships. The Hilltoppers will also host this event. The C-USA Championships will be held at Hobson Grove Park. 

Sports reporter Morgan Larkins can be contacted at [email protected]