WKU Football prepares to host undefeated Liberty Tuesday

Offensive+line+Marshall+Jackson+%2853%29+celebrates+after+wide+receiver+Easton+Messer+%288%29+scores+giving+WKU+a+16-3+lead+against+Middle+Tennessee+on+Sept.+28%2C+2023.+
Garrett Woodrum
Offensive line Marshall Jackson (53) celebrates after wide receiver Easton Messer (8) scores giving WKU a 16-3 lead against Middle Tennessee on Sept. 28, 2023.

On Tuesday night, WKU Football will take on the Liberty Flames in what will be their first action at home since September. Last time the Hilltoppers were at home they managed to defeat MTSU 31-10 in their first Conference USA action of the season. 

Heading into the game, Liberty travels to Bowling Green as one of the few remaining undefeated programs in the nation with a 7-0 record, including a 5-0 record in conference play.

The Flames have been able to accumulate what is the ninth ranked offense in the nation on the heels of sophomore quarterback Kaidon Salter. On the season, Salter has completed 57.9% of his passes for 1,493 yards, 16 passing touchdowns and just three interceptions across 152 pass attempts. On the ground, Salter has rushed for 497 yards and six touchdowns, posting 5.8 yards per carry. His primary target has been junior CJ Daniels, who has put up 509 yards and four touchdowns across 24 receptions. 

Salter’s work on the ground has been well matched by his offensive backfield, too. Junior running back Quinton Cooley, a transfer from Wake Forest, has accumulated 726 yards and six touchdowns on an eye-opening six yards per carry. Sophomore Billy Lucas is the next man up after that, having carried the ball 55 times for 307 yards and three touchdowns so far through the 2023 campaign. 

On the other side of the ball, the Flames defensive unit is settled at 32nd nationally. The unit has allowed 1,500 passing yards through seven games, which ranks at 51st in the nation, but their pass efficiency defense is one of the best at 109.75 – 13th nationally. On the ground, the Flames are 32nd nationally in their abilities in stopping the run. They’ve allowed just four yards per carry and five rushing touchdowns across 820 allowed yards, coming out at 117.1 rushing yards per game allowed. 

Senior Tyren Dupree has been responsible for a lot of stops on the Flames defense: through seven games, the linebacker has accumulated 65 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss, two sacks, and two interceptions. Sophomore safety Brylan Green leads the team in interceptions with five, attached to his 24 tackles, four pass deflections, and single sack. Junior cornerback Kobe Singleton has been more than exceptional in coverage, allowing 16 receptions across 38 targets for one touchdown, three interceptions, and five pass breakups, which is good for a 33.6 NFL passer rating allowed.

Western Kentucky will have their work cut out for them. Coming off of a loss against Jacksonville State, the Tops will have to bounce back in a big way and figure out how to score points in the second half. Through the past three games, the Hilltoppers have only been able to post eight points in the second half.

The Hilltoppers will take the field in Houchens Industries L.T. Smith Stadium on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. CT, as they hope to knock-off the top team in the C-USA in their fourth bout of conference action.

In addition to the game Tuesday night, WKU is hosting country artist, Jordan Davis, for a pregame concert on South Lawn at 5 p.m. CT. 

Football Reporter Derrick Deen can be reached at [email protected]