WKU Football falls to the undefeated Liberty Flames 42-29

Garrett Woodrum
Running back L.T. Sanders (7) runs the ball during a home game against MTSU on Sept. 28, 2023 at L.T. Smith Stadium.

WKU Football dropped its first home game of the month, Oct. 24, to the Liberty Flames 42-29.

On Tuesday night, Hilltoppers fans were welcomed back to The Houch with a free Jordan Davis concert and some nationally recognized helmet decals as Western Kentucky entered their fourth bout of Conference USA play in the 2023 campaign, hosting the Liberty Flames.

At home, going into the game against the number one team in the C-USA the Hilltoppers were 3-0, taking victories against South Florida, Houston Christian, and Middle Tennessee State before a bye week and two road games.

The Hilltoppers scored quickly to open the game, where graduate quarterback Austin Reed completed seven-of-eight pass attempts for 40 yards and a touchdown pass, hitting junior Malachi Corley on a two-yard score. Liberty was even quicker to answer, using seven plays in two minutes and 45 seconds to drive the ball 75 yards, ending in a 20-yard touchdown run from Flames sophomore quarterback Kaidon Salter, making it his seventh on the season. 

Again, the Hilltoppers were able to make it back on the board with a field goal from redshirt freshman kicker Lucas Carneiro, who made it eight-for-eight on the season, with a 26-yard strike that extended the Hilltoppers lead, 10-7.

Midway through the second quarter, Salter and the Flames offensive unit were able to get back on the board in an electrifying way. Salter hit junior receiver CJ Daniels on a 47-yard pass while advancing the pocket, hitting Daniels wide open down the field. The touchdown throw took the Flames to 14-10, leading the game in the remaining eight minutes of the first half. 

After a stalled Western Kentucky drive, The Flames got the chance to score to end the first half, but couldn’t take advantage, giving the ball back to the Hilltoppers with a minute and 13 seconds left to play. Reed opened the drive in a flashy way, connecting with redshirt freshman receiver Easton Messer on a 19-yard first down strike, but couldn’t finish as a flailing Reed pass was intercepted by Liberty junior defensive back Kobe Singleton. The Flames took the field again with 45 seconds left to play but ran out the clock. The first half ended with a score of 14-10, Liberty lead. 

In the third quarter, after several stalled drives from each respective offense, the Flames and Salter struck again, with Salter hitting redshirt freshman running back Victor Venn on a nine-yard connection, extending the Liberty lead to 21-10.

As the third quarter rolled to an end, the fireworks began. Liberty carried their previous third quarter possession into the fourth, opening the final quarter of play in the red zone. Their 10-play, 80-yard drive ended with a touchdown run from running back Quinton Cooley, making the score 28-10.

Finally, the Hilltoppers got back on the board quickly and early in the fourth, as Reed hit junior running back Elijah Young for a 43-yard touchdown. A failed two-point conversion resulted in a 16-28 score, Liberty lead. The Flames answered the call with a six-yard touchdown run from senior Aaron Bedgood, but the Hilltoppers answered the call even quicker, as Reed struck paydirt with a 63-yard touchdown pass to tight end River Helms, resulting in a 35-22 score and a continued Liberty lead.

The touchdown showdown didn’t stop there: Salter again found a way to score against the Western Kentucky defense, as he found senior receiver Treon Sibley on a 27-yard touchdown with 4:18 left in the game. Reed and Corley quickly responded, coordinating a successful six-play, 78-yard offensive effort that resulted in a 21-yard touchdown strike.

Ultimately, time would not favor the Hilltoppers, as the Flames got the ball back with two minutes left on the clock, which they would drain to win the game, 42-29.

The Flames now advance to 8-0 on the season and 6-0 in the conference, as the Hilltoppers drop to 4-4 overall, 2-2 in conference play. 

WKU will take the field again Saturday, November 4th in El Paso, Texas as they hope to reclaim an above .500 record on the season with a win over the UTEP Miners. The game will kick off at 8:00 p.m. CT on ESPN+.

Football Reporter Derrick Deen can be reached at [email protected]