WKU Cross Country hosts C-USA Championships

Credit: WKU Athletics
WKU cross-country runners practicing at Charles M. Ruter Track and Field Complex. Oct., 15 2020

WKU Cross Country concluded their final race at the Conference USA Championships with the men’s squad in 7th place and the women’s squad in 8th.

WKU hosted the event, which is the first time it has been hosted on home turf since 2019. Nine teams competed in the race. The men’s 8K consisted of 76 runners. The women’s 6K had 74 runners.

The freshmen continued to lead the team. Jared Sandfoss completed the race in 39th place with a personal best time of 25:38. Kinley Kunkel led the women’s squad, placing 35th with a time of 24:05. The duo has led WKU Cross Country all year. 

Junior Brad Wiggins ran his best time of 26:19, putting him at 48th place. Sophomore Wade Balcolm followed behind Wiggins, placing 49th with a time of 26:26.

Sophomore Rylee Evans followed behind Kinley Kunkel with a time of 24:39 which placed her at 42nd. Sophomore Kynlei Bassett followed behind Evans with a time of 25:29 and placed 54th.
“I’m proud of everyone, competed to the end, we competed hard. The guys especially, they ended up running a lot quicker than in our (earlier) home meet,” Head Coach Ron Becht said.

Sports reporter Morgan Larkins can be contacted at [email protected]