WKU Feminist Student Union holds annual period products drive

For the third year in a row, the Feminist Student Union is hosting a period drive throughout the month of March in celebration of Women’s History Month. 

FSU is collecting menstrual hygiene products, personal hygiene products, and new or gently used clothing items to be donated to Barren River Area Safe Space, an organization that provides aid to those who have experienced domestic violence.

Hygiene items include tampons, pads and menstrual related items along with personal items like shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, body wash and any individually wrapped candies or snacks. 

Ariel Powers, senior communication studies major and vice president of FSU said they have also expanded the donation list to include clothing items as a way to provide more women with comfortable clothes that they can wear daily. 

“This year we are asking for new or gently used sweatpants, hoodies, tshirts, anything that makes you feel comfortable,” Powers said. “A lot of the women at the shelters have access to interview clothes, but they don’t really have any clothes that they can just be comfortable in.”

Monetary donations can also be sent through venmo to @RENEE_REINHARDT, the FSU treasurer. 

Donations can be dropped off to the donation box inside of DSU or at upcoming FSU events, Powers said. FSU is hosting a yoga event on March 13 at 4:30 p.m., and a painting night in DSU on March 27 at 4:30 p.m. 

FSU is offering service hours in exchange for monetary or product donations if sororities are interested in participating, Powers said. For more information about hours for donations, individuals can contact Olivia Neil can at [email protected].  

News reporter Madison Carter can be reached at m[email protected].