WKU softball drops two games in series against FIU

Batter+Kelsey+Schmidt+%2828%29+leads+off+second+base+during+Western+Kentucky+Universitys+game+against+Southern+Illinois+University+on+Sunday%2C+March+3%2C+2024.+
Eli Randolph
Batter Kelsey Schmidt (28) leads off second base during Western Kentucky University’s game against Southern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024.

WKU Softball dropped two games in a three-game series against Louisiana Tech on March 23-24 in Ruston, Louisiana.

Game 1

LA Tech defeated WKU 5-3 in their first meeting on Saturday.

WKU was first to drive in a run when freshman utility and pitcher Annie White flew to center field, which drove fifth year infielder TJ Webster home to put WKU up in the fourth.

After a long bottom of the fourth from LA Tech, WKU responded in the fifth with a run from freshman infielder Becca Campbell driven in by a grounder from fifth year outfielder Brylee Hage.

In the sixth, redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales continued the scoring for WKU with a homer to left field.

However, LA Tech scored once again in the sixth which secured a WKU loss.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner threw four innings. She allowed five hits and four runs with five strikeouts.

Game 2

WKU bounced back from their first game against LA Tech with a win 6-5 on Saturday afternoon.

WKU had a strong second inning, posting five runs.

To open up scoring for the Hilltoppers, sophomore utility Kaytlan Kemp singled to drive White and Sales home.

Later, Webster singled to drive junior catcher and infielder Randi Drinnon in for a run. To continue scoring, Kemp posted a run on a fifth year infielder Taylor Sanders single.

To close the second inning for WKU, Sales walked which advanced Webster in for the Hilltoppers fifth run. 

Scoring ceased until the seventh inning when Sales singled to drive Sanders home. LA Tech tried to respond in the seventh with two runs, but failed to complete the comeback.

Freshman pitcher Rylan Smith stayed on the mound for 6.1 innings where she allowed 10 hits, five runs and threw nine strikeouts.

Game 3

WKU fell again to LA Tech 10-4 on Sunday giving the Bulldogs a series win.

Despite the loss, WKU was first to score with a Sanders homer in the first inning.

In the third, Sales doubled to left center to drive Sanders and Webster in for two Hilltoppers runs.

White doubled to left field in the fifth which allowed Sanders to score again which put the score for the Hilltopers at 5-4.

Despite WKU’s attempt to close the gap, LA Tech had a busy fifth and sixth innings during which they posted five runs. The Hilltoppers were unable to respond.

Gardner pitched 2.2 innings with four hits, four runs and one strikeout. Smith pitched 1.1 innings during which she allowed two hits and one run. 

Sophomore pitcher Maddy Wood came in for the Hilltoppers for 1.2 innings. She threw four hits and five runs 

WKU will return to Bowling Green to face Sam Houston State University on March 28 at 6p.m. CST.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].