WKU softball drops two games at Ole Miss

Ian Pitchford
WKU Softball junior Randi Drinnon (7), swings at a pitch during WKU’s matchup against Northern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024 at the WKU Softball Complex. WKU won 11-2.

WKU Softball dropped two games in a weekend series against Ole Miss from April 12-14 in Oxford, Mississippi.

The Hilltoppers now stand 25-15-1 overall. They are ranked second in Conference-USA.

Game 1

WKU defeated Ole Miss 3-0 in their first matchup of the weekend on Friday.

The Hilltoppers put up all of their runs in the top of the first.

Freshman utility and pitcher Annie White singled to drive fifth year infielder Taylor Sanders home.

On the following play, Redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales stole home to put WKU up 2-0.

Later, freshman infielder Morgan Sharpe singled to third base to drive White in for another run.

Ole Miss never responded to the Hilltoppers busy first inning.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner pitched all seven innings with three hits, zero runs and four strikeouts.

Game 2

The Hilltoppers fell to Ole Miss 11-3, in the initial rematch on Saturday. 

WKU was first to score when Sanders homered in the first to put WKU ahead early.

After six runs from Ole Miss in the first and second innings, Sanders homered again in the fourth.

White followed Sanders’ lead with a third homer for the Hilltoppers to make the score 6-3.

WKU was unable to score again within the matchup as Ole Miss pulled further ahead with five more runs throughout the game.

Freshman pitcher Rylan Smith pitched two innings with five hits, six runs and three strikeouts. 

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsie Houchens also spent some time on the mound. Houchens pitched 2.2 innings with three hits and two runs.

Sophomore pitcher Maddy Wood threw 0.1 innings for WKU with four hits and three runs.

Game 3

Ole Miss overwhelmed WKU, 12-3, on Sunday, taking the series win.

After a grand slam in the first from Ole Miss, Sanders doubled to drive fifth year infielder TJ Webster home to finally get WKU on the board in the third.

In the fourth, Sharpe tripled to send fifth year infielder Sophie Weber in for a run.

Sharpe was able to score on a later play in the fourth to make it 4-3, Ole Miss.

Ole Miss posted eight more runs, starting in the fourth inning. The Hilltoppers were unable to respond, ultimately leading to the second loss of the weekend.

Gardner pitched three innings. She allowed seven hits, seven runs and threw one strikeout.

Smith threw one inning with four hits and five runs.

WKU will host the University of Kentucky on April 17 at 6p.m. CST.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].