WKU Volleyball wins in three against APSU Govs

Dominic Di Palermo
Outside/ middle hitter Logan Grevengoed spikes the ball during the WKU Volleyball match against the University of Arkansas at E.A. Diddle Arena in Bowling Green on Friday, Sept. 8, 2023.

Western Kentucky University Volleyball traveled to take on the Austin Peay State University Governors today in an intense matchup. The Hilltoppers now hold a 7-4 record on the season, defeating the Govs 3-0.

In the first two sets, neither team earned less than 20 points, both scores coming out to 25-21.

However, in the third, WKU gave the final push to end the set 25-13. It was a highly competitive game from start to finish. 

Junior outside hitter Kaylee Cox led the team in kills with 12 and produced an excellent hitting percentage of .522. 

Cox also played an impressive game defensively, leading the team in digs with twelve. Sophomore libero Abby Schaefer came in close second with ten. 

As a team, the Hilltoppers boasted a .380 hitting percentage. They had only ten attack errors on 100 total attacks, whereas the Govs produced 19 attack errors on 98 total attacks. 

Additionally, redshirt freshman middle hitter Logan Grevengoed continues to prove herself a valuable asset to the team, as she earned ten kills. 

Redshirt sophomore setter Callie Bauer also produced ten kills, showcasing her offensive skills. She earned 34 assists in the match as well, propelling her teammates to score. 

Next, The Hilltoppers will host Ball State University at E.A. Diddle Arena in the Alyssa Cavanaugh Classic on Friday, Sept. 15 at 11 a.m. CST.
Sports reporter Rachel Dezarn can be reached at [email protected].