WKU to end relationship with Confucius Institute

The Confucius Institute located on WKU’s campus opened in 2017 and has been used to host several events for organizations. The Institute will not be impacted by a bill, barring any US university from using Pentagon resources towards Confucius Institutes.

Rebekah Alvey

WKU was denied a waiver from U.S. Department of Defense to host the Confucius Institute located on WKU’s campus.

President Timothy Caboni announced partners have been notified to end the agreement between WKU and the Confucius Institute headquarters in an email to faculty and staff. 

Caboni said dialogue with programming partners will continue and activities will be phased out over the next several weeks. 

We hope to strengthen, deepen, and broaden our relationships with partner institutions in China throughout this process,” Caboni said. 

Caboni also said WKU and partners will find ways to continuously support school districts and have a pipeline for students and instructors from China.

Having a diverse student population, we continue to remain strongly committed to international education and creating opportunities for each of our students to broaden their horizons through experiences with Study Abroad and Study Away,” Caboni said. “A hallmark of the WKU Experience is our students being able to see the world and cultures different from their own.”

Caboni said more details about the transition are being finalized and will be shared when available.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

News Editor Rebekah Alvey can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Rebekah Alvey on Twitter at @bekah_alvey.