Changes in parking and transportation presented to SGA

Doctor Jennifer Tougas, director of parking and transportation, discussed plans about improving commuter experience on campus in front of the Student Government Association on Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Jack Dobbs

Director of Parking and Transportation Jennifer Tougas presented to the Student Government Association Tuesday several new changes to campus transport services aimed at improving current and future transportation.

“We’re really focused on improving the commuter experience and improving transit access for campus,” Tougas said.

Arguably the largest of these changes comes in the form of parking at the Pearce Ford Tower lot. This is the large parking lot that services Pearce Ford Tower and several surrounding residence halls.

Tougas said next year, students who wish to park in this lot will be required to park in the University Boulevard lot across from PFT. As reported in a recent Herald article, PFT lot will be demolished to make way for landscape work as part of the Freshman Village plan.

University lot is currently a commuter lot, therefore a new lot for commuting students is needed. Tougas said because of this, a new parking lot is being constructed between Park Street and High Street.

Moreover, Tougas said the Freshman Village plan will take over part of the parking lot on Regents Street. Tougas said this will result in faculty and staff being redirected to parking at the Chestnut Street South lot.

“It’s almost a one-one exchange for the number of parking spaces they are taking,” Tougas said.

Tougas also said the new lot is one block away from the campus of Ogden College of Science and Engineering.

Tougas said the new Commons project will commence this summer, with the Helm Library parking lot remaining closed for the duration of the construction.

Aside from shifting student and university personnel parking, Tougas also said PTS will replace the mechanical parking meters campus-wide with card meters, which will allow someone to park at a meter with the swipe of a card.

SGA also voted unanimously to approve a bill that provides access to free feminine hygiene products in several buildings around campus. The bill allocates $588 from the senate discretionary fund to pay for the products.

The products will be located in Grise Hall, Downing Student Union, the Preston Health and Activities Center, Cherry Hall and Snell Hall.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @jackrdobbs.