3 Lady Toppers chosen for all-conference teams

Redshirt junior guard Dee Givens takes a shot during the Lady Toppers’ 85-55 victory over Marshall at Diddle Arena on Saturday.

Drake Kizer

Redshirt junior forward Dee Givens, sophomore forward Raneem Elgedawy and freshman guard Meral Abdelgawad were named to Conference USA’s all-conference teams, the league announced Monday.

After the preseason all-conference team included no Lady Toppers, WKU had a player on all four squads and became one of only four programs (Rice, Alabama-Birmingham and Middle Tennessee) to have multiple all-conference selections this season.

Givens, last season’s Sixth Player of the Year, earned nods for both First-Team all-C-USA and the All-Defensive Team.

On the offensive end, Givens averaged 18 points per game, which led all Lady Toppers and ranked third among all C-USA players. She was also the second-best 3-point shooter in C-USA, boasting a 43.2 percentage (73-of-169).

On the other end, Givens collected 91 steals, the second-best mark ever by a Lady Topper and 30 more than any other C-USA player this season. Thanks to eight steals against Marshall on Jan. 12 and at North Texas on March 2, Givens is also one of only seven Division I players in the nation with multiple eight-steal games this season.

Elgedawy, last season’s Freshman of the Year, secured a spot on the Second Team after averaging 16 points per game and 7.4 rebounds per game, good sixth-best and seventh-best among all C-USA players in those categories, respectively.

After no 20-point games as a freshman, Elgedawy had six this season, including 28 at Florida International on Jan. 17 and a 25-point, 16-rebound game at Florida Atlantic on Jan. 19, which made her C-USA Player of the Week and a NCAA Weekly Starting Five member.

With two all-conference honorees, the Lady Toppers have now had multiple all-conference recipients in each of their five seasons in C-USA.

Abdelgawad was named to the All-Freshman Team, joining Elgedawy and former C-USA Player of the Year Tashia Brown as the only Lady Toppers to earn the designation.

Abdelgawad averaged 8.9 points per game with 12 double-digit outings, including a pair of 20-point games. The newcomer snagged C-USA Freshman of the Week honors three times, just one shy of the program record set by Elgedawy one year ago.

WKU’s Egyptian freshman finished the regular season shooting 50.3 percent (92-of-183) from the floor, the top qualifying number by a C-USA guard this year.

C-USA’s superlative awards, such as Freshman of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Newcomer of the Year and Sixth Player of the Year, will be announced Tuesday, while the C-USA Player and Coach of the Year will be revealed on Wednesday.

The Lady Toppers (4) will take the floor for their next game Thursday at 11:30 a.m. against either Old Dominion (5) or FAU (12) in the quarterfinals of the C-USA Tournament in The Ford Center at the Star in Frisco, Texas.

Women’s basketball reporter Drake Kizer can be reached at 270-745-2653 and [email protected]. Follow Drake on Twitter at @drakekizer_.