Helm Library to close at the end of spring semester, reopen in 2021

The WKU Commons at Helm Library Renderings from wku.edu/commons

Emma Austin

Helm Library will close at the end of the spring semester for renovations, President Timothy Caboni announced in an email to students Thursday afternoon.

The WKU Commons at Helm Library will open in Spring 2021, according to the email. 

According to a previous Herald article, Caboni said he wants to move away from the idea of the library as just a book warehouse to make it more engaging and attract students to a central area. 

The plans are for “a repurposed version of the library” that encourages students to study, dine and interact in new ways. 

According to WKU’s website, The WKU Commons offers multiple dining options and provides individual study and collaborative work spaces. It also promises to honor the building’s history as WKU’s first basketball arena. 

The WKU Commons is funded through a partnership between WKU Libraries and Aramark.

Extending the learning experience outside the classroom, this intellectual hub at the top of the Hill will offer you an atmosphere and facilities that bolster both your social and academic experiences on our campus,” Caboni said in the email. 

Engagement Editor Emma Austin can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @emmacaustin.