SGA votes to create scholarship for first-generation students

Jack Dobbs

Student Government Association passed a bill calling for the creation of a scholarship for first-generation college students at the Tuesday meeting.

The bill, which was authored by Campus Improvements Chair Matt Barr, called for the creation of a recurring $2,000 scholarship, which will be given once per academic year to applicable students, according to the bill’s description.

A first-generation student is defined as any student whose parents do not have a bachelor’s degree from a college or university, according to the U.S Department of Education.

In the Fall of 2016, an estimated 34.8 percent of first-year, first-time students were also first-generation students, according to a 2017 study by the WKU Fact Book.

The bill passed by a wide 31-1 vote with no abstentions.

SGA also passed two Organizational Aid bills at the meeting, bills 11-18-F and 12-18-F, respectively.

Bill 11-18-F called for the funding of $1,400 to the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, the Phi Beta Sigma fraternity and the jump rope club.

Of this $1,400, $500 will go to Phi Beta Sigma to fund their “Mr. Devastating” Scholarship Pageant. Another $500 will also go to the Jump Rope Club to fund the purchasing of new jump ropes, and $400 will go to Delta Sigma Theta to fund their Scholarship Pageant Meet and Greet, according to the bill’s description.

Bill 11-18-F was presented by Administrative Vice President Harper Anderson, and passed unanimously, with no amendments or abstentions.

The other funding bill, which was also authored by Barr, called for the allocation of $100 to advertising for the Campus Improvement Committee Campus Safety Walk. The bill was passed 31-0.

The WKU SGA meets every Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the Senate Chambers in DSU.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected].