Linebacker Eli Brown granted immediate eligibility

Eli Brown. The University of Kentucky football team beat Eastern Michigan University 24-20 on Saturday, September 30, 2017, at Kroger Field in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Chet White | UK Athletics

Jeremy Chisenhall

WKU linebacker Eli Brown has been granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA for the 2018 season, the school announced Friday. 

Brown is a redshirt junior who transferred to WKU from Kentucky. He will have two years of eligibility remaining. Brown played in 12 games for Kentucky last year, totaling 38 tackles, two of which were for loss. He also had one pass defense. 

“Not only is Eli one of the best high school linebackers of the last decade in our area, he is an incredible young man with a powerful story,” head coach Mike Sanford said in a press release. “We’re ecstatic that he will be able to play for us this season. I commend the NCAA for truly putting the student-athlete first in this decision.”

Brown is a former Kentucky high school football star, as he played for Warren East High School and was a consensus four-star recruit. Brown had 50 tackles, 10 for loss, an interception, a forced fumble and two pass defenses in his senior year. He was named to the 2014 Associated Press All-State Team. 

Sports Editor Jeremy Chisenhall can be reached at 270-745-6291 and [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter at @JSChisenhall.