Last provost candidate speaks at WKU

Camryn Smith

The last candidate for WKU’s provost and vice president for Academic Affairs visited WKU and spoke at an open forum today in Gary Ransdell Hall.

Terry Ballman has been the dean of the College Arts and Letters at California State University in San Bernardino since 2013.

Ballman said a focus of hers is deepening the commitment applied to research and learning. She said her plan to help research and learning includes alignment, collaboration and communication.

Ballman said she also wants to keep the faculty informed and involved with campus and create partnerships with businesses in the Bowling Green area. She said she is focused on faculty, providing help to students and helping WKU to further increase its diversity.

“It’s important for a provost to support its faculty as much as possible,” Ballman said.

Ballman said her experience as dean has allowed her to “help make a difference in students’ lives.” She said she wants to ensure that students at WKU are ready to work after graduation.

Ballman also addressed WKU’s recent budget cuts. She said she believes it’s important to prioritize and put funds where they are needed needed.

During the forum, an audience member asked Ballman what she would do first if she is chosen to be the next provost.

“I would spend the first 100 days to get to know staff and faculty and work with deans and the president to discuss the changes taking place,” Ballman said.

Ballman was the last of three candidates to visit WKU this week. On Monday, Jeffery Osgood, current senior vice provost of West Chester University in Pennsylvania, visited campus. Keith Hargrove, the current dean of the College of Engineering at Tennessee State University, visited on Wednesday. 

News reporter Camryn Smith can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected]. Follow Camryn Smith on Twitter at @camryn_smith56.