5 takeaways from the administrative council meeting

Emma Collins

Editors from the Herald met with the university’s administrative council today to discuss a variety of topics including campus construction and President Gary Ransdell’s final months at WKU.

1. Updates to Parking Structure 3

Bryan Russell, chief facilities officer, said two construction projects are slated to be completed this year. Construction on Parking Structure 3 will be completed no later than this September, while Ogden College Hall’s construction is scheduled to end this December. He said an additional floor has been added to construction plans for PS3.

3. Search for Chief of Police

Kuster also discussed the ongoing search for WKU’s new chief of police. The university has two forums planned this February where students, faculty and staff will be invited to give feedback about qualities they want in the new police chief.

“What we’re looking for is what the community is looking for,” Kuster said.

4. Medical Center hiring staff

Provost David Lee answered questions about a branch of the University of Kentucky’s medical school that will open in Bowling Green. He said they are currently looking at hiring staff. Current plans show the school accepting its first students in fall 2018.

5. Ransdell’s priorities for final semester

Ransdell took time to list his priorities for his final five months as president. He will step down as the university’s president on June 30. During his remaining time here, Ransdell said he hopes to secure a new dining contract and see the start of renovations to the Garrett Conference Center. He also wants to continue to work on higher education funding with the state legislature.

“We’ll see what the future holds,” Ransdell said.