SGA enhances safety polls, elects new members

Jamie Williams

The Student Government Association discussed initiatives on improving campus safety polls and appointed two new members at its Tuesday, meeting.

The Public Relations committee will be asking students about campus safety on Thursday, Oct. 20 from 3-5 p.m. in Centennial Mall and on Monday, Oct. 24 from 3-5 p.m. in Downing Student Union.

“Our whole purpose is to make sure the students are happy,” Alex Sergent, chair of the Public Relations committee, said.

Sergent said they will ask students where they feel the most safe, least safe and if they have any concerns about campus safety. This poll is designed to help SGA determine where and how the campus needs to be improved.

WKU and the SGA have been trying to promote campus safety for several years. In 2014, WKU became the fourth university to be accredited by the National Safety Council as a safe community. The SGA also takes part in annual campus safety walks in search of locations that need safety improvements.

“While we as administrators agree that there are certain areas that are more safe than others, there are also areas where there’s the impression that we’re unsafe, but truly we are safe due to the many measures the university takes,” Zach Jones, the committee chair for campus improvements, said.

Newly-elected senator Spencer Wells spoke in favor of finding “hotspots,” or areas on-campus where attacks are more common, in order to better protect against violence.

“My girlfriend’s scared to walk outside most nights,” Wells said. “It’s very dangerous to walk home.”

In addition to Wells’ appointment to the senate, Megan Armstrong was also appointed to the judicial council. Wells and Armstrong were appointed following the resignation of two SGA members last week.

“I’m very excited to work with SGA in general because I think the organization has made great strides in improving our campus and making it a safer place,” Armstrong said in an email. “In the end, being appointed to such an incredible organization is very humbling and thrilling and I hope to help continue making WKU an even better place.”

In his report, SGA President Jay Todd Richey said he would potentially be lobbying with fellow SGA members in the spring. Possible issues to be discussed include tax reform, gender-neutral bathrooms, concealed carry laws and free-speech zones.

The SGA will discuss several bills at its next meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 25, including funding for several organizations, support of fair and diverse main campus housing and an amendment to the SGA’s constitution.

Reporter Jamie Williams can be reached at 270-745-6011 and [email protected].