SGA discusses colonnade program, passes one bill

Elisabeth Moore

During Tuesday’s Student Government Association meeting, guest speaker and chair of the Colonnade General Education Committee Marko Dumancic discussed the Colonnade Committee and the addition of new classes for the Colonnade program.

“We try to make the Gen Ed curriculum as challenging but as stimulating as possible,” Dumancic said. “The Gen Ed program is here to serve the students, so I am really here to hear your input on how the Colonnade program is working on the ground and what we can possibly tackle next year to improve it and make it work better for the students.”

In the Senate Speaker report, Paige Settles announced the SGA Senate Speaker election will take place on April 26 during the SGA meeting.

In the MyCampusToo report, Hannah Neeper announced a disability forum will take place on April 28 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. in the Downing Student Union senate chamber.

Sustainability Committee Chair Chelsea Faught announced the Earth Day Festival will be held at Centennial Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“There will be free food,” Faught said. “There will be entertainment, lots of vendors, different ways that you can interact like an interactive painting and an obstacle course on South Lawn.”

During the student speaker portion of the meeting, Director of Public Relations Sawyer Coffey announced the Rue de la Rouge Street Festival will be April 29 starting at 4 p.m. During this festival, students will have the opportunity to be a part of an attempt to break the Guinness World record for the longest human hula hoop chain. 

Bill 14-16-S, Funding for Additional Study Abroad and Summer Term Scholarships, passed with no debate.

This bill allocates $952.00 from the legislative discretionary budget to assist students in funding their study abroad programs and summer term courses. This bill will be utilized to fund one additional study abroad scholarship and two additional summer term scholarships.

“This bill is very simple,” bill author Barrett Greenwell said. “You guys have a lot of money left and a good way to use it is for more scholarships.”