Lady Toppers continue to find success

Bailey Townsend

This weekend proved to be a successful round of matches for the WKU tennis team as it defeated both the Evansville Aces and the Lindsey Wilson Blue Raiders, improving WKU’s record to 9-4 for the season.

The Lady Toppers’ success earned the most won matches for WKU since 2013, where the team went 10-8 for the season.

The first opponent to face WKU this weekend was the University of Evansville on Friday afternoon, when the Lady Toppers picked up their third straight win.

The duo of junior Andreanna Christopoulou and graduate student Cynthia Melita Setyawan proved to be too much for the Aces, who were defeated with a score of 6-1. WKU won at the second and third seeds as well.

The Lady Toppers were also a force in singles, sweeping the board with wins at the top five spots and an Evansville forfeit in the sixth spot.

Christopoulou, who continues to demonstrate her worth at the first seed, improved her season record to 10-2 with a 6-2, 6-0 win against the Aces.

More specifically, she has remained undefeated while competing in the top spot in 2016.

Sophomore Tereza Hejlova and Melita Setyawan, who competed at the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds, also came out with victories.

No. 4 seed sophomore Elpida Malamou continued her winning streak to 10 straight matches and an overall record of 11-1 this year.

Overall, the Lady Toppers swept the Aces 7-0. According to wkusports.com, WKU has lost four straight matches to Evansville in series history, so this is a welcome win for the Toppers.

WKU then faced action on Saturday for its last home match of the season, but what made the day most special was the senior day ceremony held for Melita Setyawan and Gabby Crofford beforehand.

Melita Setyawan transferred to WKU this season from her native Indonesia, where she played for three years.

Her transfer brought much-needed experience to the Lady Topper team. This season, she has a 7-1 record in singles and is currently undefeated in doubles.

Crofford, a Franklin, Tennessee, native, has been at WKU for her entire collegiate career. She has also proved herself as a dependable doubles player with a record of 4-1 this season.

After the ceremony, WKU faced the Blue Raiders of Lindsey Wilson College. As in the preceding games, both double and single players were victorious.

WKU took the doubles win in all three of its top seeds.

Christopoulou and Setyawan continue to thrive at the No. 1 seed, picking up their eighth win of the season.

Hejlova and Malamou won at the No. 2 seed. Crofford and sophomore Cassie Pennington also found victory despite teaming up for only the second time this season.

The singles players for WKU’s tennis team stepped up to the occasion with wins in the first four spots. The Lady Toppers ended the day with a satisfying 5-2 win over Lindsey Wilson.

WKU’s next matchup will be against rival Middle Tennessee on April 16 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.