WKU and Morehead to partner with UK College of Medicine

Herald Staff

The University of Kentucky and WKU have announced a new partnership which will allow WKU students to receive a degree from the UK College of Medicine while studying in Bowling Green.

At a press conference this afternoon, Eli Capilouto, the president of UK, announced the medical school will be expanding its current class size of 521 students by 30 percent. Some of those extra spots will be available to WKU students through a satellite program at the Medical Center-WKU Health Sciences Complex.

“Kentucky needs more physicians and residents, especially when it comes to primary care, and it especially is the case in our rural areas,” Capilouto said.

According to Capilouto, Kentucky ranks as one of the worst states for health.

In addition to creating a satellite program in Bowling Green, UK has also partnered with Morehead State University. MSU students will be able to receive a degree from the UK College of Medicine while studying at MSU’s St. Claire Regional Medical Center.

Gary Ransdell said he believes this will be a great opportunity for both WKU and the residents of south central Kentucky.

“This provides a pathway for our WKU pre-med students to be able to pursue a medical school degree from the University of Kentucky here in Bowling Green and hopefully to stay here in Bowling Green and to go and serve our region as physicians,” Ransdell said.

Morehead University will also be partnering with UK through St. Claire Medical Center.

Capilouto views these partnerships as beneficial for the entire state.

“Through our partnership we can do more and be more than is ever possible alone,” Capilouto said.